HSV International Primary School

FAQs (Working with us)

How often are the positions updated on this site?

Whilst we pride ourselves on a committed team, we live in a transient international environment. Check the website regularly for job postings as vacancies can occur at any time.

Generally speaking, we post teaching positions for the following academic year in January – March.

Do I have to submit a cover letter?

Yes, we are interested in your motivation for working with us and moving to the Netherlands.

What type of references should I list on my application?

Please list a minimum of two professional references. All references provided should be individuals who can attest to your work capabilities. One should be from your current employer.

I wanted to apply for a position that I saw here, but now it's not listed. May I still apply?

There is a lot of movement. We do welcome general applications. Applications should be sent to: recruitment@hsvdenhaag.nl. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we will only reach out to those candidates whose experience we are interested in.

If you are visiting the Netherlands and are interested in viewing our schools, please contact us. We will do our best to accommodate this.

I submitted my CV but haven't heard back yet. What's the status of my application?

We often get many applications for a job and only reach out to the people we’d like to learn more about. Unfortunately, we’re not able to make personal contact with people we are not moving forward in the selection process.

Will you help me with relocation?

In certain instances, a relocation package is available for people appointed from abroad for long-term positions.

What is your interview process?

For most positions, we begin the process with a phone/Skype interview. If we wish to proceed further, we will invite you to the Netherlands and observe you teach as well as conduct a face-to-face interview. We think it’s important that we are able to see you and you us.

Do you take open applications?

Yes absolutely if you are a qualified primary teacher. Applications should be sent to: recruitment@hsvdenhaag.nl. Please be sure to send a letter of motivation as well as your CV and details of two professional referees.

Can I apply as a newly qualified teacher?

You need to have a minimum of two year’s experience of whole class experience delivering an English speaking curriculum, preferably the British curriculum. Knowledge of the IPC or other thematic based curricula is an advantage.

What level of English do I need to teach at the HSV?

We prefer native English speaking teachers who have trained and/or taught in the UK. C2 is the minimum requirement for English to work at the HSV.

Do I have the right to work in the Netherlands?

If you hold an EU passport then you have the right to work in the Netherlands. If you hold a valid work permit for the Netherlands you would also be eligible to apply to our school.

Work/residence permits for potential staff members involve a lengthy process. Please be sure that you are eligible to live and work here before submitting an application.

It is essential that teaching qualifications are recognised by the Dutch Ministry of Education. They make a clear distinction between grade levels and it is not possible to work in a DIPS school (Dutch/International Primary School) without specific primary school certification.

We recommend that you start the validation process as soon as possible if you are looking to relocate to The Netherlands:


I have taught, but do not hold a teaching degree. Can I still apply?

All teaching staff at the HSV are part of the Dutch education system. As such, it is essential that all prospective employees hold a valid teaching degree (Bachelor of Education or PGCE equivalent) for primary education only. We cannot consider applicants who have a TEFL certificate or no formal primary teaching degree.

Secondary trained teachers are not recognised for primary education and subsequently not able to work with us.

More information on the validation process with DUO can be found here. If you are considering a move to The Netherlands, it is a good idea to have your teaching qualification validated as soon as possible.

I would like to complete an internship with your school. Is this possible?

We work closely with the International Teacher Training program which is offered at the Stenden University in Meppel and offer many teaching practice placements to their students each year. Therefore we are not able to offer internships or placements for other students.